Turmeric Chicken is an easy weekday meal, which is fortunate for me because this is Peter’s absolute favourite! This recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs, but I like to use chicken breasts. If using chicken breasts, you may need to increase the cooking time a bit. This recipe also comes with a vegetarian option.
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix the turmeric with 1 tbsp of salt and 2 tsp of pepper. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with the spice mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Brown the chicken well on both sides. Pour in the water and add the garlic, stirring it into the water. Bring the water to a boil, then turn down the heat to low and cover. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Stir in lemon juice (optional).
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate, turn up the heat to high, and reduce the cooking liquid for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until it’s slightly thickened. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve with rice.
Use whole portobello mushrooms in place of the chicken or use 1 pound of firm tofu, well drained and cut into slabs 1 inch thick.
I hope you enjoy turmeric chicken as much as we do!