This past weekend I came down with a cold. I was trying my best not to complain because I managed to avoid all of the stomach bugs and flus being passed around. For whatever reason, my immune system is great at protecting me from anything stomach bug or flu related, but when it comes to colds, it’s a different story.
My cold always progresses in the same way: stuffed nose and sinus pain, then runny nose and sore throat, then chest congestion and watery eyes, then dry cough, then loose cough. Normally, when I get a cold, it lasts for a good two weeks, my cough usually lingering for much longer. This time, armed with essential oils, it lasted for 3 days. 3 DAYS! I couldn’t believe it!
These are the Young Living essential oil blends I used and how I used them.
- Clove – is one of the most antimicrobial, antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-infectious of all essential oils.
- Lemon – has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that amplify immunity. It promotes circulation, leukocyte formation, and lymphatic function.
- Cinnamon Bark – is one of the most powerful antiseptics known and is strongly antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.
- Eucalyptus Radiata – is anti-infectious, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory.
- Rosemary – is antiseptic and antimicrobial. It is high in cineolo – a key ingredient in antiseptic drugs.
I rubbed a few drops of Thieves onto the bottoms of my feet every morning and evening. I also diffused it.
- Myrtle – supports the respiratory system and helps treat chronic coughs and ruberculosis. It is a sinus decongestant and alleviates throat infections.
- Eucalyptus Globulus – has shown to be a powerful antimicrobial and germ killer. It is expectorant, mucolytic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic. It reduces infections in the throat and lungs, such as rhinopharyngitis, laryngitis, flu, sinusitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia.
- Marjoram – supports the respiratory system and reduces spasms. It is anti-infectious, antibacterial, and antiseptic.
- Pine – opens and disinfects the respiratory system, particularly the bronchial tract.
- Eucalyptus Citriodora – decongests and disinfects the sinuses and lungs. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, and antispasmodic.
- Lavender – is antispasmodic, hypotensive, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic. It is relaxing and grounding.
- Cypress – promotes blood circulation and lymph flow. It is anti-infectious, antibacterial, antimicrobial, mucolytic, antiseptic, refreshing, and relaxing.
- Eucalyptus Radiata – is anti-infectious, antibacterial, antiviral, an expectorant, and anti-inflammatory. It has strong action against bronchitis and sinusitis.
- Spruce helps the respiratory and nervous systems. It is anti-infectious, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory.
- Peppermint – is a powerful nasal and lung decongestant with antiseptic properties. It opens nasal passages, reduces cough, improves airflow to the lungs, and kills airborne bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
This oil blend is one of my favourites because of the amazing smell. I massaged a few drops onto my chest, back, and throat. I also diffused it during the evening when my symptoms would get worse.
- Ravintsara – is referred to by the people of Madagascar as the oil that heals. It is antiseptic, anti-infectious, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and expectorant. It has been used to treat influenza, sinusitis, and bronchitis.
- Lemon – increases microcirculation and promotes immunity.
- Wintergreen – has strong anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties. It is analgesic, reduces pain, and helps increase respiratory capacity.
- Peppermint – is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic for the respiratory system. It is used to treat bronchitis and pneumonia. It is high in menthol and menthone, helps suppress coughs, and clears lung and nasal congestion.
- Eucalyptus Radiata – may have a profound antiviral effect upon the respiratory system. It may also help reduce inflammation of the nasal mucous membrane.
I diffused this blend and applied it to my throat and chest.
I’ve written about why I use Purification before. In this case, I diffused it to purify the air and help with my sore throat. Find out more about it here.
I didn’t use the oil blends all at the same time, but alternated them during the day, as needed. I’m thrilled with the result, especially with how it kept my usual chest congestion problem from developing. I only ended up have a slight cough for half a day. I know I say this often, but if I wasn’t a believer in essential oils before, I sure am now. Never in my life have I had such an “nice” cold. I certainly have never had one last for as little as 3 days. Never again will I fight a cold without my essential oils.
*UPDATE: I no longer use Young Living essential oils, mostly because I am not a fan of their business model. I would recommend using Edens Garden or Plant Therapy as an alternative. Both of these companies have blends that work equally as well as the Young Living blends mentioned in this post.