Recently, I ran out of laundry detergent but had no time to go through the long process of making another batch. The method I’ve used in the past would take up to 5 hours. I thought to myself, “there has to be an easier way”. There is and I will probably never go back.
This laundry detergent takes about 5 minutes to put together – a big change from 5 hours.
I used an old 3L laundry detergent bottle, but you can use a container of your choice. Just make sure you modify the ingredient amounts if the container holds more or less than 3L.
HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT (UPDATED)
- 1/4 cup of Liquid Castile Soap
- 1/4 cup of Super Washing Soda (NOT Baking Soda!)
- 1/4 cup Borax (if you’re uncomfortable with Borax, you can substitute with Baking Soda)
- Essential Oils (optional)
- Pour warm water into your container, filling it about 1/2 of the way.
- Add Super Washing Soda and Borax and shake your container until the powders have dissolved. If you’re using a container with a wide opening, you can use a hand blender instead.
- Fill the container with more water until it’s almost at the top.
- Add the Castile Soap and gently shake the container to combine, or mix with a spoon.
- Add about 20 drops of Essential Oils, if using. I like to use a blend of Citrus Essential Oils.
- Give your container a final gentle shake and it’s ready to go.
Before each use, gently shake the container. I use about a 1/3 cup for each load of laundry. You will notice that the mixture gets a bit lumpy over time. This is normal.
There you have it! A super easy to make laundry detergent that actually works! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.